Thursday, August 30, 2007

NA'EEM JEENAH'S BLOG

The following 'Viva PSC - Wits Viva" is a post from Na'eem Jeenah's blog.
I use it as evidence to prove that Na'eem's role as spokesperson for The Palestinian Solidarity Committee impinges on his ability to be fair and objective in his position as director of The FXI.
I include my response to his post.

20 May 2007

Viva PSC-Wits Viva!
Na'eem Jeeenah writes

"I just read the latest edition of the South African Jewish Report. (No, it's not my Sunday newspaper of choice; I just wanted to see whether the tabloid covered the Al-Nakba conference (see previous blog posting).) I was thrilled to see the following letter:

SAUJS ‘unprepared’ for Israel debate
I AM writing to you as a deeply concerned
member of the Christian Zionist community
who was present at the embarrassing debate
held between the South African Union of
Jewish Students (SAUJS) and the Palestinian
Solidarity Committee (PSC) at Wits on May 4,
on the very emotive topic of “Is Israel an
Apartheid State?”
First of all, the Jewish students handled
themselves in a manner that seemed extremely
unprepared, disorganised and, indeed, unintelligent,
while the speakers from the
Palestinian Solidarity Committee (while I do
not agree with their sentiment) were very
knowledgeable and managed to have a massive
impact on the crowd that sat before them.
More than that, I was also very concerned to
see how relatively few Jewish students attended
the debate, as it made Israel appear weak
and outgunned. Did the Jewish students just
not care, or were they simply not campaigned
properly?
I sincerely hope that the Jewish student
leadership of the future will come better prepared,
better supported, more able to connect
with the audience they appear in front of and
simply more captivating when it comes to the
use of a term that is so often abused by the
detractors of Israel to delegitimise the state.
Johan Pieter Coetzee
Johannesburg
Well done, PSC-Wits. But before their heads become too swollen, let me remind the Wits PSC that they were only able to perform this well because they have truth on their side. I guess half the debate is won when your argument is actually true, verifiable and cold hard fact as opposed to spin and propaganda. So, the SAUJS students performed badly even though they were coached by members of the South African Jewish Board of Deputies (as another article in the SAJR attests)."

"Viva PSC-Wits Viva!"



THE BLACKLISTED DICTATOR replied:

"Well done, Na'eem ! You certainly combine your position as spokesperson for PSC and director of The freedom Of Expression Institute quite brilliantly! But before your head become too swollen, let me remind The FXI that you are only able to perform this well because you have truth on your side."

22 May, 2007 09:56

5 comments:

Hillel said...

Hi Ant

I typically enjoy your writing, and I usually find your jousting with Jeenah et al quite entertaining.

I have though a question / point or two:
1) I think you should tidy up the blog a little and make it a bit more reader friendly,
2) What is your objective in the emails with Jeenah et al, while they certainly show clearly where he stands both morally and intellectually, on occassion you don't come out looking too good, maybe you need to include some of your own comments to give perspective or as to why you left the parley at the place you did.

H

BLACKLISTED DICTATOR said...

Thanks very much for your feed-back.
I will try and tidy up the blog but I am a technophobe and foind layout design tricky.
My aim is to discuss important issues with Jeenah and to reperesent his views fairly.
With regard to the above post, I do not believe that he would write it in the same way if he had his time over again.
Also I think that he will be much more careful before trashing the SAJR and SAUJS on his blog. He has kept silent for quite a while!

Hillel said...

Point taken, but I think presentation is very important ... maybe get a techy to help out a little.

It stands as obvious the Jeenah's article of 2006 (i.e. the tricky footwork on double standards around the cartoons) directly contradicts what he said later in the email / letter to you, if your presentation was a little clearer, perhaps with a few comments you would better highlight the tenuousness of his position.

At present it takes a lot of patience to wade through all the correspondence and work out who said what to who, and why it's relevant / contradictory or other.

Keep up the good work.

BLACKLISTED DICTATOR said...

HD,
I have put a lot of info out on the blog over the last few days.
The correspondence, particularly with regard to The SAHRC, is important as it shows the double standards of the broad anti-zionist lobby in South Africa.
I think that there is a fine balance between being dogmatic and letting readers make up their own minds about the validity of the various arguments.
I hope that in the future you might also write to The FXI (or The M&G or The SAHRC) and let them know what you think. I am only one voice, and if my blog resonates, I would encourage people like yourself to also get involved.

BLACKLISTED DICTATOR said...

HD,
I have put a lot of info out on the blog over the last few days.
The correspondence, particularly with regard to The SAHRC, is important as it shows the double standards of the broad anti-zionist lobby in South Africa.
I think that there is a fine balance between being dogmatic and letting readers make up their own minds about the validity of the various arguments.
I hope that in the future you might also write to The FXI (or The M&G or The SAHRC) and let them know what you think. I am only one voice, and if my blog resonates, I would encourage people like yourself to also get involved.